Thursday 23 June 2016

Crazy Weeks!!






Unlike other farmers, we are still calving.
Let me rephrase that! Our cows are still calving! It's been a crazy month so far! But I wouldn't trade it for anything! I LOVE calving season! There's something about new babies that I love! Ok, I don't like to train them to suck off of a bottle or deal with (sometimes) kicky mommas, but all in all it's the best season!
I better introduce you to our BIG, happy, cow family! :)
Meet our babies!!
+++++++++++++++++++++

Dopey(left) and Stormy(right)

Marshmellow(Left) Bashful (Right)
Lady
Grumpy
A over view of our lovely calves!!
 Sleepy






and
Tiny!
 
Here's a list of the moms and their names.
 
Girls!!
=======
Ginger had Stormy
Dillybar had Molly
Hope had Marshmallow
Roseabell had Lady
 Doughnut had Tiny
 
Boys!
=========
Lucy had Dopey
S'mores had Bashful
Lil' Red had Grumpy
and Rosebud had Sleepy!
 
I don't know if you caught on or not, but the boys are all dwarf names off of Snow White. I thought that since we have a solid white calf, we should have some dwarfs!
 
Ok, So each calf has a story behind their names. Grumpys name wasn't an accident....
 
We where driving to VBS when we noticed that there was a new calf. I decided that Becca and I would go get it after VBS. Well, when we got home I walked up to the calf and it was even walking towards me, when it suddenly took off like something was chasing it! I stood stunned for a moment and called to Becca who was visiting with the cows. I started to walk towards it and I noticed that it was caught to the fence! I yelled to Becca and ran over trying to get my phone out of my pocket. Becca was right behind me. I thought for sure I was going to be trying to untangle a wild calf from a electric fence. Not very much fun. As I got my phone out of my pocket, the calf busted through the fence. I heard a awful pop and crack sound. (Still not sure what that sound was.) Running the rest of the way as fast as I could, I tried to climb the fence to get to the calf. (Of course I was wearing a skirt then.) I scanned the ditch trying to get a hold of mom. I finally got a hold of someone! Grandpa Steve! He was visiting. So, I called him telling him we have a crazy calf that went through the fence and I couldn't find it! Becca came and I explained to her. I found the calf laying funny, still on the fence. I pet it's head and whispered to it. " Ok, Becca I'm going to try to get it through the fence and I want you to....." Before I could finish it jumped up and went through it again. Becca jumped back and it took off in the fence. Away from it's momma, us, the farm and on it's way to our neighbors. I spun around and ran down the fence line on the highway while Becca was trying to get it to stop jumping in and out of the fence. It veered and went into the swamp , Becca followed it.
 
I paused for a breath and ran back to the gate, climbed over and waited for help. Soon Grandpa , mom and Kaity arrived. We were figuring out a plan when the crazy calf came shooting out of the woods and kept running towards the fence. Mom and I try to cut it off. It was too late, through the fence and in the ditch and across the highway. Luckly for us the Speeddee guy slowed down for are crazy calf. We watched it cross the road and run in the field across from us. I am here to say, that wow that calf can run!! Grandpa was following it while mom went to get rope! It ran all the way aross and then towards the dirt road!    Mom finally found the rope and drove towards Grandpa. Kaity and I run across the field trying to catch up with them to help. Kaity stops, "What is it Kaity??" I yelled quickening my pace. "I think Grandpa is hurt! He just fell and mom is running towards him!!"


Kaity takes off to Grandpa I vear off to the truck where Becca and Ali were. Becca was holding her ears, she was scared.  "Something is really wrong Grace!! Ohhhhhhh!!!" Becca said, freaking out more by the second. "It's all right Becca, Grandpa is ok. He probably just jumped on the calf." I assured her as my fear grew.


And I am now here to tell you now that my Grandpa was just fine! He jumped on that calf and pinned it down while mom was tying it up like a rodeo calf. It was a site to see him holding the crazy thing down! I drove the truck up to them so we could throw the monster in the pickup box. Mom had to sit on it so it wouldn't jump out.


Grumpy was the strangest calf I have ever seen! After having him with the other calves for a few days he decided to go crazy again and go through the fence. Well, it's a little hard to go through cattle panels, so he kept running into it until he broke the fence  a part! And believe it or not we have him with the calves and he is as calm as he could be. I don't trust him though. 


That is Grumpy's story. I thought we should name him that since he always seems grumpy with his life. :)


He's no Farmer! He's an inventor!
I call it the "Bottle holder!" Nice name, huh??
Ok, every famer needs to be an inventor at one time or another, and this was that time! It's so nice to not have to hold two bottles and fight off the other 6 calves! Thank you daddy for making life easier!!! :)






Warning
For the younger reading audience, please go have your parents proof this before you keep on going.
This picture is NOT for the weak hearted, it will make your inside turn, your head spin and  your heart melt.
Proceed with caution.


























I warned you!!!

We got ducks!!! My mom , always wanted ducks! They are so cute!! This is Milly or Billy. (depending on whether it's a boy or girl.) It is the runt of the group and the cutest!!


Yes, the chicks and ducks are living together! I think some of the chickens are confused and vice versa. 

They love our mud puddles that we have! :)
Yes, duck are a nice addition to our farm.


Meow!!!!! Meow!!!
I know what your thinking, "Oh no, not that time of season again!" Yup, the kittens have arrived, but a month or two late.
We knew that Cheetah had kittens, we just couldn't find them. Well, we found them a month old, and as friendly as can be. Ok, ok, we snuggled them and made them friendly. So, we have two kittens that we will give you for free!!! I'm sorry, but one found a home, So, all we have are two boys. Mathew and Mittens. (Names optional.)  The black one (on top, Mittens) and the white with brown ears and head. (bottom one, Mathew)  


Well, that's all for today! Thanks for reading and may God bless the rest of your summer!!                                 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment